- Transportation for duration of the tour (depart from KL Sentral)
- Boat ride experience with the fireflies
- Seafood Dinner (Vegetarian food is served upon request, kindly inform in advance)
- English speaking guide-driver
- Mineral water bottle
FIREFLY WATCHING DAY TOUR with Seafood Dinner
Fireflies illustrate a magical light in the night and give you unrivaled experience as you cruise along the river in Kuala Selangor, surrounded by the pitch-black curtain of the night sky.
Contrary to what most people would perceive Kuala Selangor as a bustling city-state, Kuala Selangor is also home to one of the highly endangered fireflies. Due to factors such as light pollution and loss of habitat, Kuala Selangor is one of the few remaining places in Malaysia that will allow you to have a glimpse of the living natural light bulb. Read on for more fascinating facts regarding Kuala Selangor’s best-kept secret!
Kuala Selangor is not only famous for the Melawati Fort, Dutch Hill, and silvered leaf monkeys. When you think Kuala Selangor, you’d definitely want to pay a visit to the enchanting colony of fireflies. This experience of witnessing these wonderful natural flickering lights at night is truly a magnificent sight. These stunning creatures are also known as ‘Kelip-Kelip’ in Bahasa Malaysia and can be found along the Selangor River.
Fireflies, also known as ‘Lightning Bugs’ are easily found around a species of mangrove trees called Berembang during this firefly tour. Berembang trees usually grow in the wild along the banks of the Selangor River as the conditions of the swampy and damp environment provide an ideal breeding ground. Fireflies can be found here as these mangrove trees act as a source of food for the unique light creatures and also helps filter the impurities and toxic wastes from the river for the other wildlife that benefit from it. The fireflies here are of the ‘pteroptye tener’ species and have a lifespan of approximately 2-3 months. Fireflies actually shine during the day as well but the light is not visible to humans. Only firefly larvae produce this wonderful light and can appear in three colors: yellow, orange, or even green. Some species of adult fireflies are cannibals as well, feeding on other firefly species while the others live off nectar, pollen, or nothing at all!
Firefly-watching at Kuala Selangor is a night activity that was initially something that local and international scientists did for their scientific research along the Selangor River some decades ago. A boat service was started by a fisherman villager to transport the scientists back and forth along the river. His knowledge of handling the Selangor River greatly benefited the scientists and they were able to do much research there thanks to him. Later, news about there being fireflies at Kampung Kuantan spread and residents from Kuala Lumpur took an interest in going to see them. Since then, the villagers of Kampung Kuantan started offering boat rentals to visitors for firefly-watching, and finally, in 1989, a Malaysian utility company started a collaboration with the local council to build a jetty. Thus, a proper system was put into place. A ticket counter and a boat rotation schedule were also started. Kampung Kuantan was then known as Kampung Kuantan Fireflies Park from that day onwards.
Kuala Selangor is also famous for its fresh seafood. Seafood is one of the main attractions in Kuala Selangor, a lot of visitors from Kuala Lumpur and Klang Valley come to Kuala Selangor to taste the famous, cheap and fresh seafood of all varieties of cooking. Majority of the seafood restaurants in Kuala Selangor is a Chinese Seafood Restaurant with varieties of Chinese cooking style, a lot of seafood restaurants are pork-free, suitable for people who did not eat pork.
- Minimum of two (2) pax required to confirm booking
- FREE for children under three (3) years old
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes
- Tours are join-in basis, departing from KL Sentral
- It is recommended to bring an extra change of clothes
- Vegetarian food is served upon request, kindly inform in advance
- This tour is valid until 27th December, 2020 only
- This ticket is refundable if it has not been redeemed.
- Tickets that have been redeemed at the counter will not be refunded.
- There will be a 10% cancellation fee for all refunds.
- All tickets are valid for 6 months from the date of purchase.
- You do not need to print the ticket, simply present the QR code via your phone.
- In order to redeem your ticket, please proceed to the attraction’s counters.
- MyKad or MyKid must be presented at the attraction for purchase of Malaysian – with MyKad type tickets.